Thursday 12 September 2013

LIFE UPDATE!

The last two and a bit months have been super busy and you will probably understand why I haven't posted anything for a while.
I have been doing a make-up course through the summer! YES! I am now a make-up artist, I have had the best summer travelling down to Bath every weekend to attend a Fashion, Bridal, and Beauty Make-up course.
This all started in March/April time when I was competing in my college competition for Avant Garde make-up, my tutor actually kept me back after class one day to talk to me about what I was going to do when I finished college (Beauty Therapy) I had been thinking about carrying onto a make-up course but had no clue where to start looking or what kind of course to look for. My tutor is actually the one who convinced me to go for it and over the next few weeks I was searching on the internet for courses I could take.  This search was very difficult as there were so many options and routes to take, from a one day course to a three year degree at university. I came across a college that offered courses running over a number of weeks, they had a number of courses to choose from and I settled with a ten week course running over weekends in the summer. It was perfect!
The college is fairly new as it only opened a year ago, so my class was small, well only me and another girl. Which was great as we got one on one tuition and a lot of support. I also made a friend for life and I know if I needed to talk to someone she would be there and offer me support.
Anyway this summer has flown by and I have learnt so much, when I was researching where to go I came across some comments about going to make-up school, such as its not worth your money. Yes I admit it is a lot of money to part with. I couldn't get a loan so I had to use all my savings and the money my mum and dad put aside for when I was older. But was it worth it? HELL YES! I could have got tips and tricks of YouTube and maybe taught myself but it wouldn't have even come close to what I have achieved over these last ten weeks. Firstly you get an amazing kit and help with how you can build it up without spending a fortune, portfolio building we had a professional photographer in for some shoots other times we used the college camera and messed about with different shots. We covered so many looks and even put our own spin on them, training with other people helps you broaden your own skills, it was so interesting watching other people apply the make-up and how they interpret a certain look. Getting taught by someone who is actually in the industry! Most mornings when she was going through a look with us she would stop and randomly come out with stories of people she has worked with and experiences  she has. Also we had a couple of weekends with other make-up artists, being taught by them allowed us to ask questions and learn about other areas in this industry. I also met Peter King! I could go on forever .... but the one thing you cannot get from teaching yourself in the confidence. I am a shy person and that I don't think will ever change but my confidence with make-up and hair is so much better!
Last night I went to my college presentation evening and picked up my Level 3 Beauty Therapy certificate, as well as a surprise award for best in Level 3! So happy with my Dermalogica goodies. My tutor was amazing over the last two years!

Anyway this is what I have been up to over the summer, it was amazing and I will never forget it!



Love Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment